Wednesday 20 March 2013

A Working Theory of Love - Review

A Working Theory of Love was published in 2012 by The Penguin Press and was written by Scott Hutchins. (n.b. there shall be two fonts in this review, spoiler font (this bad boy)and non spoiler font (the one the rest of the review is in)). This is not a book for teens, it is an adult book, but it is also not a book for older adults, I think so NICHE MARKET.

A Working Theory of Love is about a man named Neill who is divorced, living with his cat and trying to create an AI (artificial intelligence) of his own dead (to see spoiler see note one) father. If you don't understand what an AI is I suggest you talk to one here: http://cleverbot.com/

There are two main plots through this book, the artificial intelligence computer one which I find much more entertaining and the oh my god I'm falling in love with a woman (see note two). Also, there is huge volumes about this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPpeC_GW0cg

It got a little boring to be honest with you. Especially the clicking plot line (THAT IS NOT A SPOILER YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS). I didn't understand why it was necessary to go on and on about it when it excludes some of the demographic

I found the beginning a little slow moving and thinking of it as a love story made it pretty demotivating as it isn't a great one. However, after that it becomes much more AI oriented and I found it much more interesting as a novel as it was different as the two leads weren't particularly attractive characters (I mean their personalities, this isn't Twilight).

I would recommend this to the young as it is heavily based around computers and without that background knowledge I think the knowledge may be more difficult to access. (See Spoiler 3. Warning. It's a biggie)


Overall I gave it 4 stars because the computer plot line was fantastic and made up most of the book but the love plot line lacked a lot.

I mainly bought it because it was orange.

Oh the beauty of consumerism.

Au revoir mes petits pois





Note one: -by-suicide
Note two: 16 years younger than me
Note three: One of the characters wants to create an AI that is basically chats you up and other things that adults do alone together (don't judge me I don't know how old you are). I didn't really understand why that subplot was necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment