Monday 14 October 2013

I want to be a doctor #3 - The Drugs Don't Work review

So as a conscientious student with a book buying addiction I went to Daunt Books in Notting Hill and bought "The Drugs Don't Work - A Global Threat" by Professor Dame Sally C. Davies. I mainly did it because I haven't read any medical books since "The Emporer of All Maladies," which is size 7 font over 500 pages so I didn't finish it, and a little part of me that thought everyone in my school knows everything so I was trying to keep up (when in fact it's just the girl next to me who wants to go into Biochemistry when we have Chemistry and Biochemistry).

Did I enjoy the book? Not particularly.

Just to let you know my standard I have taken my Biology GCSE and got a grade I was really happy with and I am now studying Biology AS Level.

This book did not stretch me. It didn't stretch my sister. She's 13. It is incredibly basic and the science is very mundane (it literally tells you to wash your hands). The table at the back was quite interesting,  reading about the different antibiotics developed but everything else was very basic facts I had learned 3-5 years ago. I understand we have to raise awareness for the use of antibiotics but this book will not change anything.

We need PSAs. It's taught in schools, but only at GCSE, and many people drop Biology before this point. This book will not save the world. Only nerds, like myself, will venture into the medical section of the bookshop and we already know everything you tell us to a more advanced level.

It is quite an enjoyable read. I wouldn't say it's well written but it's enjoyable.

Penguin, why did you publish this? Is it because she has a title? Is it because publishers are not scientists? Or is it the fact you thought you could make a difference? If it's the last reason, I'm sorry for you. This is not the way to save the world. The Book Doesn't Work - A Global Threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment