Sunday 5 January 2014

Review #1 - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I have a confession to make.

I read this book because a specific reason and that may alter our relationship but I'm ok with that because you need to know.

My favourite Christmas movie of all time and joint second favourite film of all time is (breathe in breathe out) The Muppets Christmas Carol. I was listening to the soundtrack on my Spotify and before the Marley and Marley song they said this quote which I just fell in love with:

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellowmen, and if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death."

So I downloaded a Christmas Carol onto my Kindle (free books are the best) and I really enjoyed it.
A Christmas Carol is about a cold hearted man named Scrooge who hates Christmas and how he is visited by three spirits of Christmas and how this changes him.

It was gorgeous and sad and Victorian English was just so beautiful. I loved the spirits personalities and I loved Scrooges backstory and how he became so bitter. I did see parallels between myself and Scrooge which terrified me (hopefully I'm not evil and coldhearted and I am generous and loving) and I think Dickens was an early critisier of consumerism or maybe I'm over analysising. Or making this all about me. Probably both.

I did find the bit around the second spirit a little boring but it was really good the rest of the time, especially the ghost of Christmas past. That left the biggest impression on me. The end of this spirit made me cry it was just so heartbreaking (it's not in the Muppets version).

I would recommend it but for those who want a slightly more challenging read just because the characters are so complex rather than the language. Oh and lovers of the Muppets (seriously it's crazy how loyal they were to the book).

I gave this four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment