Tuesday 14 January 2014

Review #5 - This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E Smith

I absolutely loved Anna and the French Kiss and I believed I had misjudged YA romantic fiction. I thought I'd been overly harsh, that it was enjoyable fiction overall. I was wrong.

This is What Happy Looks Like has potential as a story: it's about Ellie who lives in a small town in Maine who gets an accidental email one day from a boy who she talks to for many a month (stranger danger). In other completely unrelated news, there's a new hot celebrity guy in town shooting a movie called Graham (be still my heart).

This is What Happy Looks Like is not a book that I had a specific problem with as such (I say as I tear it to pieces), but it was just boring.

The characters were boring, the plot was boring and oh how Graham was boring. Ellie was so 2D she was verging on 1 dimensional. The plot was obvious and lacked subtly. And the writing! Seriously,  it was so shallow. It just seemed very basic.

Romantic fiction should make you fall in love. It didn't make me feel warm or fuzzy. That is why it truly failed.

Two stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment