Monday 3 February 2014

Review #9 - The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

This is going to be a short review because I don't have that much to say. On a completely unrelated topic, I need to write notes while reading.

This is a book who's love story is written as dictionary entries. It goes through their relationship this way.

I am a huge David Levithan fan, just putting it out there in advance. I actually saw him at Cheltenham last October and it was awesome. I loved Every Day and just DAVID LEVITHAN FAN CLUB.
So I read this book with anticipation. I'd heard it was his best work to date, it was clever, it was 
funny.

It was just above average.

So this book is a less artsy version of Why We Broke Up apart from it focused on the relationship itself. The narrative hops about,  which I suppose is because it's done alphabetically. A clever and very Levithanesque thing about this book as it never defines the genders or sexualities of the characters.  You make it fit you.

I struggled a bit with some of the definitions as the words were just not in my vocabulary.  I felt like that took away from the experience. Also the characters were quite distant. This caused me to not get emotionally involved with the characters, which is a shame as it would have brought a new level to the book which it lacked. It felt shallow.

Overall it was a three star book.

I would recommend this if you liked Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler or Every Seventh Wave by Daniel Glattauer.

No comments:

Post a Comment