Sunday 12 January 2014

Review #4 - Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral

Chopsticks is a sort of scrapbook: photos of artefacts and people and web chats and newspapers. There are these big double page spreads of photos taken on film. It's a coffee table book but with a plot. It's beautiful however I found it breathtakingly average.

The plot lacked substance. It was just boring and the end became confusing. The romantic plot line lacked any form of chemistry and there were a few photos between the girl and the boy that suggested that they actually were in a romantic relationship at all. Their conversations were mainly about her father and how annoying he was. It came across as a very biased view of teenagers and their parents so much so that I felt it was trying to push me away as a reader. Why do you write a book for teenagers and then try to annihilate them?



I will be fair to this book and say it is a pretty book. However, coffee table books are expensive and there are so many more that I could spend my money on (I'm very lucky, this is a book of my sisters) for example Rookie Yearbook 1, Rookie Yearbook 2, A Maps of the World The World According to Illustrators and Storytellers. So many books are truly beautiful, you have to stand out as an artist. This book was beautiful, but there's only so much grainy photography a girl can take. Have you heard of a digital camera?

So thank you Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral. I was worried my reviews were too positive that I was coming across as one of those people who doesn't give negative reviews because everything is so awesome.


Your ability to create a completely and utterly average book saved me. 

Lots of hugs and kisses,

Sophie

p.s. I'm big on lindsay lohan movies today.

No comments:

Post a Comment