Thursday 6 February 2014

Review #10 - Enron by Lucy Prebble

Enron is the famous story of the company Enron's collapse. I didn't even know this existed until by friend Aimee pressed it into my hand so we could have fun train literary discussions.

The plot was really interesting. I'm normally not a fan of "true stories" because I often end up uninterested by them but woah was this good. The dialouge and imagery really helped with this, as well as the choppy sentences as Enron started to collapse.

One image in particular I loved. Raptors are used to demonstrate the other companies in Enron.  The only thing is I didn't know if the author meant the eagle or the dinosaur. I read it thinking of it as the dinosaur but eagle seems to make more sense because of eagles representing the American Dream. The Raptors were good visual representatives of what was happening. How do I love thee metaphors? Let me count the ways.

I feel like Sofia Coppella's The Bling Ring was influenced by this play, in the dialouge and the way the story feels. However The Bling Ring is much more extravagant than this play.

There was one scene (scene two) that seemed to have no real input into the plot of the play. I did find out that it was about the relationships between two of the characters but it could have been done more tastefully.

In the theatre there is an expression called "breaking the fourth wall" (I learned this from scrubs videos on YouTube). Enron did it all the time, characters addressed the audience. I didn't like this. Perhaps it's to do with the fact in school plays I was always always a narrator (seriously I've been a tree, skeleton, viking, roman and a sheep narrator on different occasions) and this felt like the play was being narrated. I also felt it was a lazy way to explain what was going on.

Overall I'd give this four stars but also I'd put it on "books to read before you die" because of its relevance to politics and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment