Wednesday 5 March 2014

Review #16 - Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next Door is the sequel to the super-mega-foxy-awesome-hot-bestseller sold in every Waterstones in the country, Anna and the French Kiss (which I reviewed in January). I adored Anna and the French Kiss and I really liked Lola and the Boy Next Door.

I won't lie, Lola and the Boy Next Door isn't quite as good as Anna and the French Kiss for a number of reasons (which I will go into extensively as per usual) but it is still very good. It has a new set of characters in it but it is linked to Anna and the French Kiss character wise so I would read Anna and the French Kiss first.

Lola and the Boy Next Door is about a girl, Lola, her boyfriend, and the boy who's moved back in next door who she has "a past" with. Lola is very exhibitionist, up to the point where I couldn't quite relate to her because I am an introvert (however I do own a bright yellow raincoat because Urban Outfitters). That was my real criticism of Lola, however is this just because I'm shy?

I didn't like the suburban setting as much as Paris. Paris was far more romantic but also I've been to Paris and never lived in suburbia so is this again just a personal thing? It just felt like a huge anticlimax after Paris with the rivers and Notre Dame.

I didn't like the hero (see no spoilers at all here) as much as I liked the hero from Anna and the French Kiss. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't. He was just a little less charming and a little less charismatic. However it did make me feel in love and I loved that about both Anna and the French Kiss and this book.

I loved all the imagery to do with the moon. It was just so super gorgeous. I loved her talking to the moon.

The plot was fantastic and I cared so much about the characters. I struggle to empathise with characters out of YA. I cared what happened to Lola and I was involved at every point of the story. Stephanie Perkins narratives are just always so strong. You will get emotionally wrapped up and that is what makes these books so darn good (I am really into italics today).

So yes, you have to read this. Four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment