Saturday 15 March 2014

Review #19 - No and Me by Delphine de Vigan

No and Me is a book about a girl with a messed up family living in France. She has to do a presentation on the homeless in school and makes friends with a homeless girl called No. She invites No to stay.

I didn't love the writing style, it just felt very odd. This could be to do with the fact it's a French book and translated literature often has a slightly disjointed writing style.

I didn't like the portrayal of what goes on inside a person with an iq of 160's head. It felt innacurate and made me feel like the author thought that bright people were a different species. I really couldn't stand it. 

The family dynamic was done excellently. I loved the ways they all interacted, however De Vigan could have made the commentary on it slightly more subtle. It felt like "this girl is so bright that she can't connect to her classmates but she understands her parents innermost disturbances." It didn't add up.

I felt like it was a PSA on homelessness. The more you know.

I gave this three stars. It was good but not captivating

No comments:

Post a Comment