Saturday 19 April 2014

Review #25 - The Demigod Diaries by Rick Riordan

One of my Babysitting kids lent me this because she knows how much I love Percy Jackson. It's a Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus companion novel with a set of short stories: A Luke and pre-tree Thalia, a Percibeth story just after the final Percy Jackson book, a Leo novel and one written by Rick Riordans son based on a demigod who fought on Kronos' side. If I've forgotten any it means they were boring.

I've seriously missed Percy Jackson during the Heroes of Olympus series because the first series was witty and smart and had fantastic characters (I miss Clarisse so badly) and the Heroes of Olympus has some serious flaws. This companion novel takes the stuff I've missed from Percy Jackson and puts it all into one book. It's glorious. 

For one thing, Hermes is back. Have we not missed the Greek, non messed up gods? Yes, we have. I miss Poseidon and Zeus and Hades and Apollo and Artemis and Mr D and Ares (punk) and Hermes and who can forget George and Martha. That's right, the rats are back. It was just so good to have more God action.

I liked the fact some was in first person. Luke's narrative was, kind of, super unsubtle but Percy was back and narrating and it was wonderful for that Percy Jackson nostalgia. We've missed you, well I certainly have.

Leo's story was more Percy Jackson like than the Heroes of Olympus series but I don't like Jason Grace (and I write this in Zeus' domain which is worrying me a bit but Dear Zeus, as you are polishing up your lightening bolt ready to zap me, I still totally respect you as a God). I just thought it was smarter than I expected.

The dark horse of this book is definitely Rick Riordan's son's book. He's a very similar age to me and his story is so darn inventive and smart. It is so perspective and wonderful while still maintaining all that action that we love Percy Jackson for. It was wonderful. Can he become a published author please?

(We have turbulence. Zeus is taking his revenge.)

I would recommend you read this if:
You want another Percy Jackson book without being filled with Jason Grace
You want to add information to the story
You want a Percibeth moment
You want more George and Martha

This book is really great. I give it four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment