Tuesday 29 April 2014

Review #30 - Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal by Chris Colfer

I found this book in Waterstones, read the blurb and loved the sound of it. Blackmail? In a high school? To benefit the chances of one guy getting into uni? It sounds amazing. And it's just been made into a film. It must be good.

When I read the words "now a major motion picture" that suggests to me that this book has been made into a movie. This is not the case with Struck by Lightning. It is a movie that had been made into a book. I don't understand how publicists thought this was a "good strategy". People who have watched the movie will be bored by the book and everyone else will just want to watch the film. The book had a lot of flaws due to it originally being a movie.

It was a very visual book and used a lot of description which normally I love, but this didn't really pull it off. I think because it is a film it tried to recreate visual "gags" that just didn't translate to prose (I had no idea what was happening during the pencil scene).

The writing wasn't that great. It was too factual and overly-clear and lacked the subtlety I know and love. I think this is because it is a screenplay written by an actor. Where you would use your body language as an actor, Chris Colfer wrote it out clearly. It wasn't that fun to read.

The plot though was so good I kept reading. It has intrigue and it is thought provoking.

I would recommend this if:
You are a huge gleek who's entire life in glee
If you want some "brainless" reading

Honestly, I'd just watch the movie.

I gave this two stars

No comments:

Post a Comment