Friday 23 May 2014

Review #39 - The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code is often heralded as one of the books you should read before you die along with Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter and Great Expectations. It's about a professor, Robert Langdon in Paris when a man is killed in the Louvre. It's a mystery which is political and is overall pretty tense.

A lot of the plot is woven around Da Vinci and the Bible and the symbolism around the two. The really clever thing is that it is all utter rubbish, but it is so clever and well written and utterly believable that it really makes you believe the story. It added so much to the plot as it merged the real world with the fictional world. I have never read a book that was so convincing. I actually wanted to read it around this time last year but we were told we couldn't read this before our RS exam because we'd believe it.

Suspense is maintained brilliantly for the entirety of the book. It was dark and creepy and really well pulled off as an atmosphere. I honestly couldn't put it down towards the end around the big reveals and the whodunnit. I did guess one of the big plot twist/reveals which was a shame but the rest came as a massive surprise which was great.

The plot is great and such a good idea but I found it very long. I am a very fast reader so I find it really hard for a book to sustain my interest if it's really long. It was really good for something that long but I still struggled. Also, I found the maiming thing really weird.

Sophie was so smart and I loved her as a character. However, was there supposed to be chemistry between Sophie and Robert? I didn't feel that there was any chemistry between them.

I would read this if:
You want to read an exciting modern classic
You want a book that merges art and literature
You want a book that's full of suspense

I gave this four stars

If you would like to buy it maybe you could buy it through my book depository link? It pays me 5% commission and I really want a pair of Kurt Geiger sandals. And money for Paris.
Paperback
Hardback


No comments:

Post a Comment