Sunday 25 May 2014

Review #41 - The Treatment by Suzanne Young

Trigger warning: suicide
Spoilers - Slight spoilers to The Program

The Treatment is the sequel to The Program. It's set in the near future in the US where suicide is an epidemic so teens are put into "The Program" which cures them but with terrible side effects. 

I really liked The Program but I found The Treatment pretty boring. I didn't really enjoy the plot as a lot of it involved hiding out in buildings and fighting which wasn't really that interesting. I think the real issue is that there is much less threat involved in this book so it doesn't have the suspense of the first book.

I really didn't like James in this book and Sloane was very drippy. I didn't feel like their relationship was particularly healthy either. The dialogue felt overly sentimental and I didn't feel like I really wanted them to stay together but it was portrayed that Sloane's mental health would deteriorate if she didn't have James.

If I were to try and tell you the feel of the sequel I'd say it was a mix between Catching Fire and New Moon.

I read the whole thing because it is a quick read. A really great aspect of this series is that it only contains two books which I really enjoyed. I hate feeling like I have to slug through three books in order to get an ending but this was conclusive and I do really admire Suzanne Young for that.

I felt there was no subtlety with this book, the dialogue spelt everything out to the author which was really, really annoying. It treated me like an idiot.

Also the cover is one of those American covers so the spine is gorgeous.

I would recommend this if:
You read The Program
You love reading series
You want a good old dystopia
You want a really nice American copy of a book on your shelves

I would not recommend this if:
You were upset by the themes in the program
You are upset by suicide

I gave this two stars

If you do want to buy this I get 5% commission from the book depository:
Hardback (the cover isn't accurate on this)

No comments:

Post a Comment