Monday 9 June 2014

Review #44 - Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

*takes deep breath in and out*

This has glorious reviews. Booktube was raving about it. I went into it with high hopes. This book was going to be exciting. It would be one of the best books I'd read in 2014. And it did keep me interested because the plot was intriguing. I'll give it that. I read it in a relatively short space of time but I really disliked this book.

Harper goes to her Homecoming and is about to be crowned queen when something strange and mystical happens while putting on her lip gloss. Then her life takes a crazy twist and she has to protect the one boy she hates.

First problem - it was full of this "perfect daughter" stereotype and this really bugged me. I can't explain it (great review there, Sophie) but I felt like everything that happened was met with "oh I can't do this, why is this happening to me, I'm the perfect daughter." It felt really really moany. Ok, maybe I can explain it.

I love stand alone books and occasionally series (cough Throne of Glass cough) and this is the first book of a series. I like books in series if they have endings that are worthy of the amount of time you spend on the book. I felt the ending was inconclusive and just didn't feel satisfied. It felt like it added "an element of surprise" just to make you want to keep reading without giving the first book a real ending. I don't want to keep reading. I'm not spending any more money on this book.

This was a very girly book. I won't deny that I spend my life in skirts and I am addicted to Urban Decay. This was too girly for me. I felt like it locked out a lot of its potential readership and the cover didn't reflect this as the knife sort of suggested it would be girly like Throne of Glass is girly. It was a little too obsessed with lipgloss and didn't really capture "awesome female warrior princess" like I'd hoped.

This is a very rom-com book. If a Drew Barrymore or Jennifer Aniston film could be made into a book it would look like this. 

I would recommend this if:
You want some really girly fiction while having adventure
You love chick flicks
You like series (ok I was a bit short of ideas this time)

I gave this two stars

You know what, don't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment