Sunday 15 June 2014

Review #47 - Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors

This will be a short review as this book is about 170 pages. It's a book where different people tell you in which order to read books of a certain author if you want to start reading them, i.e. if you want to read Dickens you should read Oliver Twist.

This book is suppose to inspire you to read the authors it talks about when really I just wanted the book to be over so I could add it to my goodreads challenge. If anything it put me off the authors it talked about even though I am a big fan of a couple of them (Arthur Miller etc).

The book is really short with a lot of spacing so it didn't bore me to tears as it was short so it was over and done with quickly. I guess that's what made it two stars rather than one star.

Parts of this book are written my academics who are experts on the authors they are discussing. As a result the order that they put the author's books in were in a good author to see the evolution of their writing etc, but it wasn't a good order for someone who is intimidated by authors, who are the target audience. For example, the book recommends you read Oliver Twist first, when that book is a good 500 pages. It didn't think about the audience, but then again, these are academics not CEOs.

I would recommend this if:
You can get this for free
You are a child prodigy academic and just want to read some E M Forster for fun
You have read every author and want to hear academics opinions

I gave this two stars

E book only.

1 comment:

  1. what made you want to read it in the first place?

    it literally sounds awful!

    amy // The Blog Hermit

    ReplyDelete