Tuesday 24 June 2014

Review #57 - Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas


I often struggle with reviews. I find it hard to put what I didn't like about the book into words and coherent sentences. I have struggled to write this review because no words can quite put into words how I am feeling right now but for the opposite reason. This book is so perfect, it is impossible (well almost impossible) to quite put what I adored about it into words.

This is the third book in the Throne of Glass series and I received this is an ARC from Bloomsbury. For that I am so so grateful and is the best end of exam present ever. This review will be spoiler free.

The book is cleverly written: in the words that are picked, the dialogue (which I read over four or five times) and the relationships that are built. There are three main story lines and I did have a definite favourite but I adored all of them.  The pace was maintained well in all three and covered all my favourite characters.

The emotions that I feel for these characters are beyond a level that is considered rational. I am emotionally invested in them beyond belief (especially to do with a certain new character who was introduced in this book). And Celaena is just as smart and brave and real as she ever has been. I read Assassins Blade when it came out (March) and the contrast between Celaena then and Celaena now is astonishing and so well written.

Honestly, I love these characters like my friends.

When I was about 40% of the way through this book I started thinking that I hadn't felt the emotions the book was stirring in me since Dumbledore's final scene in Harry Potter. By the end I knew it was much more than that. I haven't ever felt the emotion it stirred in me ever before, in real life or fiction. The best way I can describe it is pride mixed with love mixed with pure joy mixed with comfort mixed with a tinge of sorrow for all my darling characters.

I have grown up having "comfort books" that I lived on and grew from. Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Juliet Dove. All those series ended and though I was satisfied with those endings nothing ever really has filled the gap left by these writers. And then I discovered Sarah J Maas. I met her in October and right now, if I never meet JK Rowling (which was always my childhood and teenage dream) I think I will be okay, because I have a book that tells me to rattle the stars. Sarah J Maas has filled the literary hole in my heart and for that I will always be grateful.

Thank you, Sarah J Maas.


I would recommend this to:
Anyone with a heart
Everyone who is human
Everyone who contains an X chromosome

If you have read Crown of Midnight Sarah J Maas did an excellent video on Heir of Fire

Heir of Fire will be available September 2014.
Buy Throne of Glass (#1) here
Buy Crown of Midnight (#2) here
Buy The Assassins Blade (#0.1-0.5) here
I have linked all the UK editions because you don't have to separate them on a colour coded bookshelf and they look awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment