Friday 22 August 2014

Review #60 - She is not Invisible by Marcus Sedgewick

She is not Invisible is the story of a blind girl, Laureth, who's father goes missing so she takes her brother on a trip to NYC to find him. It's a book about coincidence and numbers and bravery.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book. And I really enjoyed the voice and the writing style. I just had a large problem with how blindness was tackled. Sedgewick was very subtle with how he introduced her blindness. It let you work out that she was blind yourself which treated the reader as smart which was a nice idea. I just think that it should have been more obvious.

"But Sophie you shouldn't define a person by their physical limitations."

It's a really lovely idea that who we are on the outside doesn't alter our self perceptions on the inside. It does though. I am a white girl and my experiences are perceived from blue eyes. And this shapes how I view the world and how I view myself as a result. I am someone who has lived with physical difficulties, and I know they aren't equivalent with being blind, but they affect everything I do and most importantly how I view myself. And by denying Laureth the ability to tell the reader something that defines her I felt like Sedgewick wasn't treating her as he should have.

The book has an obsession with a certain number (but never fear, not in a maths sense). Some things are really really cool like the number of pages in the book is this specific number but sometimes it got a little tedious. I did like the pages from the fathers journal though that were inserted.

I did really enjoy this book though. I whipped through it and it was an enjoyable experience. The pace was great and the interactions and relationships were just fantastic and let me tell you, that is not an easy feat. Also I loved the setting and the characters, especially her younger brother.



I would recommend this if:
You want an entry into YA
You love books on coincidence
You want a quick read

I gave this four stars 

Buy it here

No comments:

Post a Comment