Tuesday 7 October 2014

Review #69- The Time Machine by HG Wells

I read Ann Veronica earlier this year by HG Wells which I just adored. The Time Machine didn't quite live up to the same standards that Ann Vernonica did.

Whereas Ann Veronica is a contemporary novel this, no suprise, is science fiction. It's about a man who invents a time machine and tells the story of his adventure to a group of people over dinner. The book tells the story from the perspective of one of those listeners. 

I'm not always a fan of science fiction but HG Wells I think, while sometimes rambling, is top of his game at science fiction. I am a biology nerd and you can really tell that HG Wells knows what he's talking about. It weaves Darwin's evolutionary theory with social commentary. This is HG Wells' strongest theme in this book. 

The theory behind the evolution of humans is that the upper classes become so timid that they become weak and boring while the working classes become savage and have the ability to literally eat the upper classes. This social commentary is not only really interesting but uses key evolutionary theory that communities can separate and they can evolve into two different species entirely. I love the fact that H G Wells takes real science because often science fiction is just fantasy with big scientific words in.

I did find the ending slightly odd which did take away from the book. The book kind of lost the plot and began to ramble.

I would recommend this if:
You love ecology
You want a science fiction book that isn't about space
You want an engaging classic

I gave this three stars

No comments:

Post a Comment